Colonoscopy and Chick F'ila


"Make sure it's on toasted wheat bread"; is what I kept repeating until I was finally stuffing it down my throat with no attention to the disgusting sloppy sounds I was making. This is how the scene unfolded in the Chick f'ila drive through immediately following my colonoscopy. Now I have no recollection of this and perhaps it didn't really happen and it's a cruel joke being played on me by Jeff.

The colonoscopy procedure wasn't bad at all, that's because I was totally unconscious. I think they had to give me a double dose to knock me out and keep me out long enough....hence the "not remembering" the chicken sandwich. It was the prep that almost sent me to my early grave.

Has any else out there ever taken 4 ducolux, 2 Reglan, and drank a gallon of powerade loaded with 258 grams of Miralax?

So you would think that all of that would have cleaned out my system in one or two foul (foul-smelling) swoops and I could have gone to bed and been ready the next morning for the roter rooter snake tool. But nooooooooo all that did was give me terrible cramps and make me pee all night.

Now let me back up a minute a tell you about the side effects of Reglan.

  • tremors, or restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw, or neck;

  • mask-like appearance of the face;

  • fever, stiff muscles, confusion, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats, rapid breathing;

  • depressed mood, thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;

  • hallucinations, anxiety, agitation, jittery feeling, trouble staying still;

  • swelling, fluid retention;

  • jaundice (yellowing of your skin or eyes); or

  • seizure (convulsions).

Less serious side effects may include:

  • feeling restless, drowsy, tired, or dizzy;

  • headache, sleep problems (insomnia);

  • nausea, diarrhea;

  • breast tenderness or swelling;

  • changes in your menstrual periods; or

  • urinating more than usual.

So there you go! I had almost all of these with the exception of diarrhea...hello...the one side effect that I NEEDED! Yes, I really felt crazy and out of my mind. I mean, more than normal.

Back to the post medication effects....................................................................

At 1:30am I woke with a start. Not just a mild startle that makes you wake slightly and look around. No this was like a bullet that shot me out of my bed like a racing horse out of it's gate at the sound of the gunshot. I wasn't sure I could even make it from the bed to the toilet (only 3 ft away) but I did make it and was flabbergasted by the force at which my body used to expel the powerade mixture. I believe the gas behind it lifted me 2ft off of the seat. Yes, the force was with me even stronger than it was with Luke Skywalker.

I felt relieved and was glad "it" finally happened. I layed back down for a nice long nap before my procedure in the morning. That was not the end of it (no pun intended). This violent act against my very nature was repeated every 30 minutes until 4am. It coincided with the surprise arrival of my dad all the way from Texas! Wow. Two surprise in one night, what a day it was going to be! I still was having milder trips to the bathroom all the way up to the time to leave. I was afraid that this prep was not a good one and that they may not even do the procedure because this ordeal did not go by the book. I figured I was not as "clean" as the doctor needed me to be, but I went on anyway and would explain it to the nurse when I got there.

This all leads me to the conclusion of my epic (tail) tale. The doctor said everything looked fine, no polyps only internal hemorrhoids. (I guess one is better than the other, huh?) He did say it was quite messy in there and wondered if I followed the instructions properly. What? "Messy in there?" He should have seen my toilet bowl! Messy? What did he expect? Something you could eat off of? Good grief, Mr. Doctor, I'm sorry my butthole was not clean enough for you! I did try and I did follow the stupid directions even while I was half out of my mind from the drug you prescribed!

So apparently, I demanded a chicken salad sandwich from Chick f'ila on toasted wheat once I got into the car. Jeff said I kept repeating "...on toasted wheat bread..." and I made him tell the woman in the drive through twice and made him check when we got it. Geesh, I don't know why I was so hell bent on toasted wheat bread. Go figure.

Oh and the doctor told Jeff I would live at least another 5 years in time for my next colonoscopy.

No thanks.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Just to let you all know, she is the biggest baby in the world when she's sick. While taking care of her I stopped just short of breast feeding her on Monday (her decision, not mine, I would have totally tried).
I'd agree that the toughest part of the whole thing was the prep stuff on Sunday. One of the meds made her kinda nutty. I actually feared for my life a few times.
ShanaM said…
Oh dear.
That is one thing that I never want to have done.
I have given a few patients the GoLytlie stuff to drink. 4 Litres of it. Usually after one glass, they say, "Is that enough??"
So for what is it is worth, the fact that you took all the medication, that is good.
"Messy in there?" Maybe you don't remember punching the doctor for saying that???
Chicken salad is good after complete bowel evacuation.....
michelle huey said…
It's a good thing I have no guns in my house, for Jeff's sake.

Thanks Shana for the support. I should have punched out the doctor but I was too busy thinking about chicken salad, I guess.
Anonymous said…
You should have heard the doctor when I used the prep (not same as yours, really much stronger stuff b/c I warned him of the seriousness of my constipation woes) and NOTHING, not one explosion of any kind. NOTHING HAPPENED.

That doctor was not amused and had I not had my mother there as a witness, I don't know if he would have believed me or if he even believed the two of us.

And, I can't believe I forgot to tell you to take food with you. They give you those crackers and some sprite when you first wake up but please, the hunger is obnoxious.

Glad to hear you got a good bill of health! Let the clock tick down the five years....with much anticipation...ack.
Ash said…
Oh, wow. Not purty, but necessary - it's on my to do list.

And yes, Chick-fil-a would have been my destination of choice after that as well.
Gigi said…
Oh Mimi -- that sounds GRIM! I'm way older than you and have still not had my first colonoscopy, but I've finally been ordered to do so next month -- arrrgggh! Glad you went first and lived to tell the tale ;-).
Luna said…
Oh, my! I'm so happy to hear you were given a clean bill of health. Thanks for the entertaining story! You poor thing...:(
Kris said…
I'm cracking up here. This post was too funny. What makes it more funny for me is I'm a surgical tech and work in Endoscopy. I'll have to share your story with my co-workers I'm sure they will get a kick out it.

I'm happy you got a clean bill of health. See ya in 5 years.

Kris
the guy who named GoLytely had a wicked twisted sense of humor.

Butt Torpedo would've been better.

Yuck Ewwww Yuck. But I'm glad your colon is healthy.
I've come over from Miss Nikki's.
My wonderful HMO (I have to say that since my hubs works for them) has you remain awake, fully conscience, alert, wide eyed.... Not even a lil sleepy somethin' through the whole Colonoscopy!! Needless to say, after my hubs went through that mid evil torture chamber...I opted to pass on the whole experience!!! Instead they send their request for samples through the mail...Not the kinda stationary I'm willing to send!!!!!

Wow, what an ice breaker for a first visit,LOL!
Sweet Wishes,
Sara

Popular posts from this blog

T'was the Day before Christmas

Big Fat Loser